Friday, April 22, 2011

Low Carb Turkey Cheese Bake


This casserole yields a fair amount of leftovers, which is why I like to make it a few days before my busiest day. The leftovers are a quick and ready dinner for those nights I need to get out the door by 5pm.

Also, I'm actively trying to cut the amount of time I spend cooking in anticipation of warmer weather. I don't know about you, but I want to spend Spring outside and Summer at the beach, not sweating in the kitchen.

So I'm making a lot of meals that can be served again a few days later. Living a leftover life, that's me!

Anyway, this casserole bake is a twist on an old church pot luck recipe. It's comfort food without the carbs. It's also a very flexible recipe, don't be afraid to toss in veggies that are languishing in the fridge even if they aren't on the ingredient list. (Dirty secret: I put spinach in this time. Next time it might be broccoli.)

Enjoy!

Ingredients for 8-10 servings

  • 1 pkg ground turkey (can, of course, substitute ground beef)
  • 1 onion diced
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar
  • 1 1/2 cup cottage cheese
  • 3/4 cup sour cream
  • 2 cans tomato sauce (total of 15-16oz)
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Veggies of your choice--I used spinach and some diced Hungarian hot peppers
  • 2 cups cauliflower cooked and coarsely mashed (we're going for lumpy, not smooth) OR Carba-Nada noodles
Instructions

1.Saute onion in olive oil (along with peppers if you're using them) and add turkey.

2.Once turkey is cooked through, add tomato sauce. Stir until warm and set aside.

3.Cook noodles, if you're using them and/or prep the cauliflower. Set aside.

4.Mix sour cream and cottage cheese together and season well with salt and pepper.

Tip: Use a fairly large bowl due to step 5.

5. Combine pasta or cauliflower with the sour cream/cottage cheese mix.

6.In a 9x13 casserole dish, alternately layer meat, cheese mix, and shredded cheese.

7.Top with cheese and bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment