Saturday, August 6, 2011

Low Carb Cookies: Molasses Crackle Top Cookies




My claim to fame as a baker are molasses crackle top cookies and this gluten free, sugar free version of the recipe is quite tasty. It also looks like a regular 'ol crackle top and I would bet some people won't be able to tell the difference.

This recipe makes about 1 1/2 dozen cookies and would be perfect for the holidays.

Ingredients:
  • 1/3 cup Splenda brown sugar blend (don't recommend using other sweeteners in this recipe as this isn't just adding sweetness, but also flavor)
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tbsps. blackstrap molasses
  • 2 tbsps. cinnamon
  • 1 tbsp. ground cloves
  • 1/2 tbsps. ground ginger
  • 2 1/4 cups almond flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
Cookie coating (optional)
  • 1/4 cup regular white sugar
Instructions:

1.Combine butter and Splenda brown sugar blend in mixer.

2.Add in vanilla, egg, molasses and spices and blend.

3.Add almond flour and baking soda and blend.

4.Roll dough (which can be sticky) into balls about the size of a ping-pong ball.

5.Dip balls in sugar (optional).

6.Place dough on cookie sheet and press down gently with fingers, forming as close to a circle as you can.

7.Bake at 350F for 10-13 minutes. I start with 10 minutes and then check, adding time based on how far along the cookies are at the 10 minute mark.

8.Let cool and enjoy!

Also pictured in those last two pictures are my low carb lemon sugar cookies.

3 comments:

  1. Omgeee I'm going to have to try this recipe too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm wondering if the spice measurements were supposed to be tsp. instead of Tbs.? I made these last night, and they had a great consistency, but WAY too much spice. Unfortunately, they are inedible as-is. :( I hate to throw them out, so I may try to put them in homemade vanilla ice cream as a mix-in, or make a gingerbread trifle. I think they would be an AMAZING cookie with at least half of the amt of spices as written. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made these. Cut the spices way down. 1t.cinnamon,1t. ginger, 1/4t.ground cloves. I didn't have any blackstrap molasses, so used regular. These are delicious.

    ReplyDelete