Sunday, November 28, 2010

Moderate Carb Lemon Caper Chicken

This recipe uses a light coating of bread crumbs so not kosher at all for Low Carb. However, I do eat this and it is fine so long as my other meals are low carb for the day.

I make this once every 8 to 10 weeks. Everyone likes it and as long as I'm on plan, some breaded chicken isn't going to hurt me. Especially when it's homemade and not caked on like some fast food places like to do.

It is delicious and worth working into the meal plan rotation, just use the bread crumbs wisely.

Ingredients

-Chicken pounded flat
-Italian Bread Crumbs (amount varies depending on how much chicken you're cooking)
-2 eggs
-1/2 jar Capers-sliced
-Caper juice
-2 lemons, juiced
-Oil for cooking

Instructions

1. Pound the chicken so its thin. For chicken breasts, cut into strips and pound flat.

2. Dip in egg.

3.Dip in bread crumbs.

4.Drop into a pan with some hot oil and fry until browned on both sides. I like to cook each side for about 2 minutes each.

5.Flip the chicken and sprinkle a little bit of lemon juice and caper juice on the breading. This adds flavor, but be careful not to let it hit the oil or you'll get burned. And we're talking just a little bit, not trying to soak the chicken or cover every millimeter, okay?

6.Add the sliced capers when the last batch of chicken goes into the pan. Let them brown along with the chicken.

7.Transfer chicken to an oven proof pan and sprinkle with more lemon and caper juice. Cook in the oven for 20 minutes.

Serve with green beans or mashed cauliflower. Be sure to keep the rest of meal absolutely low carb to compensate for the bread crumbs.

2 comments:

  1. "Kosher for LoCarb" - I like that phrase!
    What kind of capers do you like?
    I tried them once and they were probably rotten....
    I just hated them.... to death... yuk!
    I probably got the "wrong" kind,
    cus everyone else just loves them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Anne. Capers run the gamut, I've had some really lovely ones...in France.

    Here, my grocery store carries one jar so I have no options unless I want to order it online. The ones I have are big, about the size of olives but they can also be the size of peas.

    To me, they are kind of pickle-y in flavor and provide a sour salty note in a recipe. I really like how they caramelize in this recipe.

    My only thought would be try a new jar and see if it tastes any better to you.

    M

    ReplyDelete